Friday, December 12, 2008

Cloudy sky

It is cloudy tonight and it’s a full moon evening too. It is difficult to observe the moon with its craters with binoculars tonight, my most expensive equipment so far for my interest in star gazing and astronomyJ. I have a Nikon 10X50 and it is doing a good job for me. One thing I must admit is that my neck starts to complain when I decide to watch high latitude objects for longer time. It has the advantage of having wide field of view so it is not so difficult to find objects and shows you right-side-up images, making objects easy to find. The conditions are not so good these days, combined with the preparation of the country to receive the national day that is falling on the 18th of November. The capital Muscat is live with beautiful street neon lights with green and red colors flooding the streets and night skies. Neon lights have never been friendly to hobbyists including amateur ham radio enthusiasts. They produce significant levels of interference to the receivers that need to be filtered. Considering that Oman is not located in a region with high level of rain falls I should not complain about this and should not take the clear skies for granted. I can imagine countries with high levels of rain falls and cloudy skies; stargazing is not an easy venture. Here in Oman you just go out whenever you like as the skies are almost always clear.

No comments: